Thursday, September 10, 2009

Marriage, Community and Austen

Jane Austen is definitely one of my favourite authors, but her Pride and Prejudice has to be not only a favourite of mine, but also, I believe, her masterpiece. I cannot get bored of it and to prove that, I have watched the movie seven times as well as the TV series, and read the book three times! What follows is a closer look at one of the social aspects of the novel: marriage.

If we take Pride and Prejudice as representative of 19th century England, or even as a community on its own, Austen gives a clear picture of the conventions and customs established within this society or community. She also reveals her own views and judgments regarding these conventions. The subject of this and the following posts is to look at how Austen presents the conventions concerning marriage present in the society at the time the novel was written. The argument presented shows how she criticized some of the ways in which these conventions worked in the society.

The very first lines of the novel opening with the famous sentence “It is a truth universally known that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife” serves to do just that: in this community daughters must be married off. This “truth” is “so well fixed” in the community that any man with such a fortune is “considered as the rightful property” of their daughters. The very tone of the narrative sets forth the attitude of the author toward this “truth”. The irony and satire with which this “truth” is presented indicates criticism. This criticism is further enhanced in the conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Bennet, where the latter expresses how she wishes Mr. Bingley, whom she knows nothing about except that “he is a single man of large fortune”, to marry one of her girls. Mrs. Bennet, then upon Mr. Bennet’s apparent ignorance, goes on to say that though he has no “design” in settling in Netherfield, “it is very likely that he may fall in love” with one of the Bennet girls. These opening sentences, therefore, give us a feeling of the community, of which Mrs. Bennet may be taken as a representative, its ruling conventions, and the attitude of the writer. We are assured that it is not only Mrs. Bennet who holds such views and that it is truly a “universal” matter since it was Mrs. Long who told her the news and that “Sir William and Lady Lucas are determined to go”. Even all throughout the novel Mrs. Bennet’s attitude on the subject little changes and she remains determined to have all her daughters “well married”. And since we are told that “She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper” with “manners so far from right”, we can rightly take it that her way of life was not much approved of by the author.

6 comments:

  1. Marzieh,

    How delightful to see you here with literary comments and your promise of more! After one reading of course I want to come back to re-read. Also I will plan to see the film with my mother who loves them and will enjoy this particular one. I have just run across and noted Jane Austen hidden among my books two days ago. Back soon! And SO glad you are here again! Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLZ don't give up on lack of comments...Tell us MORE about Jane Austen and how you got interested in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahmm :)
    I think i should not delay in having my hands on the book !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie and Reez,

    Thank you for your comments.

    As I've said I just LOVE the book, so I can only recommend it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the irony is that what was relevant in 19th century England still holds true in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tazeen,
    I do agree with you; unfortunately, this situation does still exist in some communities, though I must admit things are getting MUCH better everyday :)
    Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete