Rudaki was born in the year 858, in Khorasan, Iran. His name is taken from the village of his birthplace, Rudak, which is now part of Tajikistan. He was contemporary with the Samanid ruler Nasr II and became his court poet and companion. His qasidas are written to the praise of this friend and sovereign.Some 1,300,000 verses have been attributed to him, of which only 52 qasidas (elegies), ghazals and rubais (quatrains) are extant. His most important work was translating into Persian the Arabic version of Kalila and Dimna (Panchatanntra), an old Indian Fable book, which unfortunately has also been lost.
Though he was blind at the time of his death, it has been disputed whether he was born blind or lost his eyesight later, but what is certain is that his poetry displays an acute sense of colours and a refined taste. Rudaki was the first to perfect every form of epic, lyric and didactic poetry, and to develop the diwan, the alphabetical arrangement of a poet’s lyrical compositions, which has been used as the standard form since. His many contributions to Persian poetry and Iranian culture have rightly won him the title of the father of Persian Poetry.
Your history reads with both authority and is anything but dry. I would love to see one of your favorites - if there is an English version or if you might translate - even just a stanza ?
ReplyDeleteDoes Rudaki the name stand alone or is there sometimes a term of respect?
"Bu-i-ju-i-Moliyan ayed hamay
ReplyDeleteYad-i-yaar-i-mehrban ayed hamay"
Something to the effect:
"I smell the scent of the River of Moliyan and memories of a kind friend pervade my senses."
The second line used to be a common quotation even in educated conversations in Urdu until the mid-1980s.
Connie,
ReplyDeleteThe line quoted by Mr. Shafique is probably Rudaki's most famous, and one by which everyone remmebers him. It is also my favourite. I love the way the sound of the words are made to rhyme in the first line (the way we read it in Persian): "Booyeh Jooyeh Moulian..."
Rudaki's actual name is much longer. Many poets are known and called by the name of their birthplace. So his name would get reduced from "Abu Abdullah Jafar ibn Mohammad Rudaki Samarghandi" to just Rudaki. He is titled as the father of Persian poetry ( and sometimes literature) since he was the first poet to write in modern Persian.
Mr. Shafique,
It is really interseting, and an honour, for me to know that Persian literature has gone beyond Iran and the Persian world, and has connected us to many people.
Thank you for both for your comments.
Connie,
ReplyDeleteBTW I would like to have a discussion of your ideas and comments on Pride and Prejudice and Jane Austen, if you are still interested.
I love this line...and I am in need of balancing my life and activism with more positive poetic and literary readings as well as posts. This line is exquisite to me even in English and OF COURSE the Persian and Urdu add a beautiful flavor for my ears eyes and tongue EVEN without knowing quite how to read or say the lovely words!
ReplyDelete"I smell the scent of the River of Moliyan and memories of a kind friend pervade my senses."
"Booyeh Jooyeh Moulian..."
"Bu-i-ju-i-Moliyan ayed hamay
Yad-i-yaar-i-mehrban ayed hamay"
Would one or both of you be able to give me an entire stanza/verse/poem maybe this one and or meaning - even in URDU and/or Persian?
Marzieh, I would love to discuss Pride and Prejudice and Jane Austen but have decided to wait until after my Mom leaves and other pressures allow a whole book and discussion of that sort. Sadly novels are not nearly as easy for me as they used to be. So I have it on my calendar for early October.
However, I wanted to say that there is an afterward in my Signet copy of Pride and Prejudice which is so interesting about growing up with poetry and literature all around and parent poet and novelist yet loving Austen most of all - by Eloisa James (she herself a famous modern romance writer)
If you can't find and want excerpts, let me know.
I also wanted to say that I thought your history prose was a bit like Mr. Shafique's!
ReplyDeleteConnie, you will find Persian text and translation of these verses and some more at http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bashiri/Poets/Rudaki.html
ReplyDeleteMy history prose is not unique for this region - i.e. Iran, Pakistan, etc. I guess, common literary heritage accounts for that :).
Connie, by the way, "Booyeh Jooyeh Moulian..." would be a better way of transcribing it. I wanted to convey the same sounds when I typed "Bu-i-ju-i-Moliyan..." :).
ReplyDeleteConnie,
ReplyDeletehmmm...I had never noticed or thought about this before. Perhaps being a memeber of and reading the articles on RR has influenced in more ways than I had hoped for!!!
Here's the full poem translated by A. J. Arberry (though I think it's rather a free translation than a faithful one, since some sentences do not quite match):
"The Juye Mulliyan we call to mind,
We long for those dear friends long left behind.
The sands of Oxus, toilsome though they be, Beneath my feet were soft as silk to me.
Glad at the friends' return, the Oxus deep
Up to our girths in laughing waves shall leap.
Long live Bukhara! Be thou of good cheer!
Joyous towards thee hasteth our Amir!
The moon is the prince, Bukhara is the sky;
O sky, the moon shall light thee by and by! Bukhara is the meadow,
the cypress he; Receive at last,
o meadow, the cypress-tree!
I found this poem on this site:
http://www.iranyellowpages.net/En/About_iran/Culture/poets/iranian_poetry01.shtm
I hope you will like it :)
Also ... I've not found the writing by Eloisa James yet, I shall try the university library soon. If that fails too I'll let you know...Thanks
I loved this conversation about poetry and history prose! Common literary heritage or no, Marzieh seems to have the "knack" for this.
ReplyDeleteDuring my break from so much internet work and blogging, I look forward to finding a little time to look up the suggested URLS on Rudaki. I am committed to doing some study of poetry and writing of the same during this break.
Thanks to both of you!
PS Now that my friend is finally back from Ramzan celebrations, I will soon be able to start Urdu with nearby teacher at last. And perhaps pick up just a few Arabic and Persian (old and new - Farsi?) as well? Which do you think are the best websites for these languages for me to use?
Oops, I was in too big a hurry to touch base before busy days...came back and so glad to find the poem! YES, I love this poem in every way. I want more from Rudaki and hope to hunt some up myself as well as learn more of your favorites.
ReplyDeleteI do love the way the first line feels saying it...
Also...
the transparent emotion and universal experience which brings pleasantness even when the "way" is difficult...thus: "The sands of Oxus, toilsome though they be, Beneath my feet were soft as silk to me."
Then too...Bukhara! Bukhara is the sky;
Bukhara is the meadow, the cypress he...what joyous love and passion for place...
So please don't go away if possible...I look forward to coming back to discuss more poetry and later Austen novel with you!
Just got the new movie version of Pride and Prejudice...my mom has agreed to watch it with me so at least I can discuss the film with you soon.
ReplyDeleteOk, I'm going to earlier post on Pride & Prejudice. Just saw the film!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThere is a certain tune to this stanza.
ReplyDelete‘Subtle’ in its essence; ‘Elegant’ in form and far reaching in its depth.
I would imagine the stanza holds within it a presence of the poet. And I think in trying to relate to it one would find something worthy to aspire for – to seek within ourselves a presence such as this.
A post I wrote about this can be visited at http://usefulthought-s.blogspot.com/2009/10/value-of-poetry.html
ReplyDeleteMarzieh,
ReplyDeleteMiss you! Let me know when you have a new Comment or Post here, OK? Facebook now and also newlease7@yahoo.com
Where are you, Marzieh? We are missing you. You are needed among us!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I never heard of him..I was all the same pleased to know him know..was Allama Iqbal inspired by him too.?
ReplyDeleteBecause I have gone through Iqbal's many persian works.
Bty nice yet short bio of the legend.!
Hamza,
ReplyDeleteI don't know if Iqbal was direcly inspierd by him or not. But since he is the founder of Persian poetry, we could say that he has somehow inspired and influenced all who wrote Persian poetry :)