It may seem from what I have written so far that I view the world as completely subjective and all values as relative. On the contrary, I cannot for one moment believe that there are no higher transcendent and objective values to which we could cling and on which we could base our lives.
I strongly believe in the existence of some higher values such as Truth, Justice, Love, etc. which are the Ultimate, and towards which all other values are directed. The problem, or rather the situation, is that though we may believe in them and even seek them in our lives we do so based on our subjectivity. In our search for the Ultimate we all arrive at some smaller truths which may be far from our real destination and we usually substitute the appearance of truth for Truth. But this is not entirely a bad thing. For after all we look at and for things through our own subjective eyes and opinions. And I believe if we persist in our goal toward the Ultimate transcendent Values which define all other values, we are likely to arrive at the desired place or at least near enough to it.
Our universe is an objective one and its Laws, Rules and Principles are permanent, fixed and unchanging. What varies is our perception of this objective universe. As a general rule, we all value and believe in justice, freedom and beauty, but our specific definitions of them vary. So what are in fact transcendent and universal values are seen, defined and practiced through our ‘subjective’ perceptions of them. In this sense an ‘objective’ universe is described ‘subjectively’ by everyone.
What is important here is to remember this subjectivity: to remember that we are each a member of the whole human race, with individual values, beliefs and perceptions. To live in harmony we need to understand, love and respect each other’s needs, worlds and beliefs.
As a last point I would like to add that if you find yourself in disagreement with what I have just described, don’t worry: it is simply because your ‘subjective’ perceptions of the world vary from mine!
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice write up ! I want to share something:
ReplyDeleteSubjectivity and Objectivity are not separated. For example: Human is an objective thing, it has its body parts. One of the parts of body is mind. Mind has an objective existence, yet it's thoughts are subjective. We cannot separate objective existence of mind from its subjectivity, simply because both are nothing without each other. Same thing goes for human: Human is a full existence with subjectivity and objectivity both together.
The problem with Today's modern world is that we have fragmented everything so much that either we think of something as only objective, or only subjective. Instead, world should be seen as a whole.
Rehan,
ReplyDeleteI simply LOVE your response as I do Marzieh's new post (along with all her others)...we need to learn (or relearn) how to put the Objective and Subjective together. I don't understand how so much of academic and "intellectual" training (maybe largely from the West? Maybe some from early Greek thinking?) has caused us to somehow compartmentalize these aspects of existence that go together - EXACTLY as you are both saying.
You said, Marzieh "It may seem from what I have written so far that I view the world as completely subjective and all values as relative."
Honestly, when I first read your gorgeous poem first of your posts I read - I felt a part of my soul which I have often smothered and yet which is still alive. Yet it's a part of me which is perhaps closer to my subjective being and it's full of life still - yet sometimes I've experienced a few dangers here and there with that abundance. Yet, maybe the dangers are greater where there is the compartmentalizing?
And the poem was/is so beautiful and true the way you conceived it - perfect!
AND the whole of all your posts show a tempered, balanced and wise ability to include the objective as well. Have you come to RR knowing these truths and how have you come to know them?
I have so limited time and concentration level to be able to say more yet I feel, think and know a lot about this topic and hope to return.
I will not be at RR as often for a few weeks due to husband on vacation and my entire family of six will need me much more available -
Yet I will CERTAINLY be back.
Let me close by saying - however each of you here at RR have come - I feel, think, sense there is a larger purpose than you may realize - or maybe you already have that knowing within you?
Rehan,
ReplyDeleteYou are quite right: our subjectivity and objectivity are quite a part of each other and even complementary. Thanks for pointing that out.
Connie,
We will for sure miss you and your delightful comments. I wish you a wonderful time with your family and look forward to seeing you very soon.
Dear Marzieh,
ReplyDeleteI am still intending on getting the Iran posting up later today! Thank you for your encouragement and I really do look forward to being back her in this wonderfully alive and wholistic little community soon.
I like your blog too,Marzieh. It reflects Persian thought.
ReplyDeleteWell, the Universe had to be static in order for it to have any universal moral codes. Our perception changes because the universe changes. Perhaps the Sufis were right when they claimed that the truth of truth is revealed when one stopped arguing (Socratic reasoning) and simply started whirling.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the fragmentation which is really sort of a brutal specialization in the macro aspects of things have created a lot of problems. However, the evolution of western mind at it's core has the principle of specialization and fragmentation at work. On the other hand, the Persian mind manifests itself in a different way; it looks at the macro level.
It may be a different concept to understand but a good example is comparison of poetic styles. A poem (a poetry format of english) has a logical and chronological procession, however a Ghazal (in Frasi and Urdu) deals with concepts that are vague and more than the individual couplets. There is no chronological order in it, and yet somehow all couplets form to make one Ghazal.
The truth is something bigger than the sum of its parts.