Tuesday, July 7, 2009

‘It wasn’t MY fault!’

The comments I received from Connie on my previous post about the subjectivity of our world encouraged me to write once again on this topic and treat yet another aspect of what I believe is our subjectivity. It concerns the way we try to make up for our shortcomings and mistakes.

It is a habit most unwholesome and yet very welcome when we tend to blame others for what are in reality our own faults. It is always much easier and more appealing to point the finger at someone else. I am not saying that everything we do or whatever happens to us is a direct result of our own actions and that we are to be blamed for everything that goes wrong. What I’m pointing at here is how we make scapegoats of everything and everyone else to avoid admitting our own responsibility in the matter. A common example is not managing to arrive on time and excuses vary from ‘traffic jams’ to ‘bad weather’ for what in fact might have been our own lack of time management. The list is endless and books could be – and might have been – written about all the cover ups we use to make up for our problems. And they have penetrated into our lives so much that a lot of the time we come to believe in our own make-believe stories and substitute a subjective view of the world for a fair and true one.

This is even true of governments and politics. They always have someone or something to blame for their own shortcomings. On a larger scale, the West blames the East and the East blames the West. This habit of passing the blame has become so common and useful (!) that sometimes I wonder if we would have been able to manage our lives had there been no East, no West or no evil to be punished ... I really do wonder!

7 comments:

  1. wow, it definitely strung a chord some where..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Marzieh does know how to "strike a chord"

    My first reaction is to find your maturity and wisdom here - so palpable - that although you may be quite young - amazes me, causes smiles - recognition and challenges me to keep making progress in this area.

    This natural-appearing acceptance of personal responsibility (where not self-minimizing or degrading to a fault)is something rare among all people I've met and not likely to emerge except with the rare person who's usually quite mature in age.

    I was just rereading some of your other comments after reading this one and noticed again this one: "To be honest I had no intention of reflecting on the way metaphor may be used within a particular culture" - so, I'm curious about a second item: how you, Marzieh, are able so smoothly, seamlessly to navigate the waters of both the subjective and the objective in your posts? You sometimes portray - if subconsciously - one as predominate in value - and the next time to portray the other as more useful? Am I making sense?

    Would this be fair: to say that you look for or naturally find the universal values and truths - and that sometimes these are positive - even when apparently subjective and other times these truths for you are objective?

    That brings me to my final wonder: how over the years have you become so universal? I know there are many there in the East as there are here in the West and yet the media would sometimes miss this fact.

    I still dearly want to post your Iran as a creature, an organism - yet am waiting for just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need to have the same maturity as you do..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to do your Iran post on mine very shortly while there's a bit of lull with media reporting. So just a final checking to see if there are any notes at this point you want to add?

    Soon after that I want to start the Pakistan series with the National Anthem and ReeBz Dawn article.

    So any advice, notes from either of you on those items would be most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali, Connie and Reebz,

    Thanks for your comments :)

    Connie,
    I have decided to post a new article - again!- on this topic instead of explaining myself as a commnet. I hope this makes my position cleare in regard to your intriguing points made here.

    And concerning the Iran article, I don't think I have much else to add, unless you think I should, in which case I should be glad if you would let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marzieh,

    I plan to post your Iran article (my) tonight. Seems like the right time before I do a series on Pakistan. The post is just fine the way you have it. I just wanted you to have one last chance. I plan to use the same photo used by Khurram Sahib if that's OK with you? I have his permission.

    Someday I'd be curious how you found Republic of Rumi. Also, what is your first language?

    Thank You so much, Marzieh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie,

    I will keep an eye for your article and I feel somehow honoured that you are posting my article on your site...so thanks.

    I found the Republic of Rumi as I was searching on Yahoo for Literature groups and it is one of the three that I have joined and am very happy that I did. Also, my first language is Persian (Farsi), the official langage of Iran :)

    ReplyDelete